The man charged with opening fire on a parade crowd in Highland Park — killing seven and injuring dozens more Monday, July 4 — was denied bond Wednesday morning during his first court appearance.
Bobby Crimo, 21, of Highwood, appeared in front of a Lake County judge as the court heard initial statements from Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart. The suspect is represented by a public defender
Rinehart revealed that the shooter admitted to Highland Park investigators that he was the gunman at the parade on Monday morning. Rinehart also reported that Crimo told police he nearly committed a second attack in Wisconsin while he was on the run from authorities after the Highland Park shooting. He reportedly came across a celebration near Madison, but did not go through with it because “he hadn’t put enough thought or research into it,” Rinehart said of what the shooter told police.
As previously reported, when the shooter was apprehended around 7:30 p.m. on Monday, police recovered a second rifle in his vehicle.
While on the run, the gunman reportedly dumped his cellphone, which has been recovered and is being analyzed by the FBI, said Deputy Chief Chris Covelli, of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office, who has acted as the investigation’s public information officer since Monday.
The gunman is currently facing seven first-degree murder charges, but Rinehart said “many, many more” charged as forthcoming, including multiple charges of attempted murder, aggravated batter with a firearm and aggravated discharge of a firearm.
“We anticipate all those charged to be presented at one time in late July,” Rinehart told reporters after the hearing.
Rinehart also used to his platform to call for a ban — both in the state and across the nation — on assault weapons, saying as one of the individuals tasked with keeping the community safe, he believed a ban would serve that responsibility.
The state’s attorney also spoke about Illinois’ red-flag laws, which allow residents or government officials to request that a FOID card be stripped from an individual.
“We need to make sure the community and make sure law enforcement is using red flag laws,” he said.
As previously reported, police responded to the home of the Highland Park gunman twice in 2019 and the second time confiscated nearly 20 blades.
The shooter will be held in jail until his next hearing in late July, Rinehart said.
Covelli concluded the media briefing by saying officials will not host any more regularly scheduled press conferences, and briefings will be announced as the are needed to announce breaking news and updates.
The Record is a nonprofit, nonpartisan community newsroom that relies on reader support to fuel its independent local journalism.
Subscribe to The Record to fund responsible news coverage for your community.
Already a subscriber? You can make a tax-deductible donation at any time.