These reports were pulled from the latest police summaries provided by departments in our coverage area (Wilmette, Winnetka, Northfield, Kenilworth and Glencoe).
• A car key fob, iPhone and other items reportedly were stolen from Gillson Park, 700 Michigan Avenue.
• A mailed check reportedly was stolen and deposited in an unknown account.
• Police reported the arrest of a 19-year-old Waukegan man for allegedly driving a van and approaching a 12-year-old, commenting on the child’s appearance and asking for their phone number. The incident reportedly occurred near the corner of 17th Street and Wilmette Avenue. The 12-year-old reportedly ran away after the man approached them a second time. Police reportedly stopped the van in the 600 block of Melrose Avenue in Kenilworth, and the man was charged with disorderly conduct and no valid driver’s license.
Safety tips from the Wilmette Police Department include “Say no, get away and tell someone,” as advice for a child approached by an unknown adult.
• At least two cars reportedly were broken into overnight in the 1100 and 1200 blocks of Greenwood Avenue.
• A car reportedly stolen from Wilmette on Aug. 24 was discovered in the 600 block of N. Lorel Avenue in Chicago.
• Tools reportedly were stolen from Hong kong Auto, 3500 Lake Avenue, after a front-door lock was broken.
• A tree that was planted in wood planter reportedly was stolen from a home in the 1000 block of Manor Drive.
• A laptop reportedly was missing from an apartment in the 1500 block of Sheridan Road.
• A resident reportedly was defrauded by a person claiming to be from Apple iTunes support. The person reportedly asked the resident to deposit $4,000 in a Bitcoin ATM and purchase two Apple gift cards for $500 each. The resident also allegedly provided the individual with photos of their ID and access to their phone.
• Two unlocked cars reportedly were entered at a home in the 900 block of Spruce Street but no items were reported missing.
• Spray paint reportedly was found on a trash can and a concrete wall in the 700 block of Green Bay Trail.
• A home reportedly was broken into in the 1300 block of Trapp Lane.
• Jewelry reportedly was stolen between 11:50 a.m. and 2:13 p.m. from a home in the 800 block of Hibbard Road.
• A resident’s credit card reportedly was used to make fraudulent purchases in the amount of $40.
• A fraudulent check reportedly was cashed in the amount of $7,447 against a resident’s bank account.
• Police reportedly tried to stop a car that was reported stolen, but the drive fled the scene.
• An unlocked bicycle reportedly was stolen from Central School, 620 Greenwood Avenue.
• A car tire cover reported at $2,000 reportedly was stolen from a car in the 900 block of Forest Avene.
• Several residents reportedly received phone calls from an unknown individual purporting to be with the Northfield Police Department and attempting to collect an outstanding fine. The caller reportedly asked the residents to call a separate number to pay or be subject to arrest.
• A catalytic converter reportedly was stolen from a car parked outside in the 1700 block of Northfield Square.
No incidents from Aug. 26-Sept. 2 reported
The Record’s police reports are taken from police-activity summaries prepared by local police departments. Police Reports contain public information from preliminary reports and are not a complete listing of all police activity. The Record does not publish the names of individuals arrested for nonviolent crimes in preliminary reports unless the incident is a matter of public safety or has broad community implications. All arrestees are innocent until proven guilty.