Glencoe, Community

Record Roundup: What to do with your trees, wreaths and Styrofoam

The holiday season includes plenty of traditions, even when it ends.

It’s time to clean up and that includes plenty to get rid of. Local agencies and groups can help you with that. See some of the ways you can responsibly dispose of your trees, wreaths and even Styrofoam.

WILMETTE: From 8 a.m.-1 p.m. on Jan. 5-6, Go Green Wilmette and the Wilmette Park District will host free Styrofoam recycling at the Centennial Recreation Complex, 2300 Old Glenview Road, near the swimming pool entrance. The collection is free to the public.

The Styrofoam will be transported to Abt Electronics for recycling. No packing peanuts or food containers can be taken.

WINNETKA: Christmas trees will be picked up curbside between Jan. 2-16 for shredding, chipping and composting. After Jan. 16, a refuse yard waste sticker will be required to ensure collection. Bagged yard waste collection will also conclude on Jan. 16 and resume in March as weather conditions allow. Trees must not include bags, wraps, ornaments, tinsel, wires or anything else. If you have questions about the program, call (847) 716-3568

GLENCOE: Christmas trees will be picked up curbside at no cost on Wednesdays through January. All lights, ornaments and garland must be removed.

NORTHFIELD: Trees and wreaths placed at the curb in the first two weeks of January will go to a composting facility. Trees cannot be bagged, decorated or taller than 6 feet. Trees collected after the second week of January will be sent to a landfill.

HIGHLAND PARK: Christmas trees are taken at no extra cost on the day of your standard refuse pickup through Jan. 25. After Jan. 25, a $30 fee applies.

The Record is a nonprofit, nonpartisan community newsroom that relies on reader support to fuel its independent local journalism.

Subscribe to The Record to fund responsible news coverage for your community.

Already a subscriber? You can make a tax-deductible donation at any time.


This article was developed using publicly available information, such as press releases, municipal records and social media posts.

Related Stories