The Record North Shore is pleased to announce it is seeking its first new employee: a director of development who will lead The Record’s fundraising efforts and aspirations as it continues to grow and provide responsible and sustainable local news for residents in the northern suburbs of Chicago.
The Record is a nonprofit and digital community newsroom that launched in 2020 to restore vital local reporting following the closure of several suburban newspapers. We cover the five communities in New Trier Township and Highland Park. Join an organization that cares about its staff, its communities and impactful local news.
The director of development will lead fundraising efforts, working with the editor in chief and board of directors, as The Record continues its path toward sustainability and growth. This position is, among other things, responsible for developing an annual funding strategy, cultivating relationships with current and new funders, and organizing and growing an events schedule.
The director of development is a full-time, salaried position with a 4-day, hybrid work schedule. The expectation is at least half of work hours are spent within our coverage communities with a homebase at The Record‘s coworking space in Wilmette.
• With editor in chief and board of directors, create annual funding plan that aligns with The Record’s mission and path toward sustainability and growth.
• Prepare for the EIC and board monthly progress reports and updates in relation to the annual plan.
• Organize, manage and grow a database of funders: individual, corporation and institutional.
• Maintain and cultivate relationships with the various funders.
• Develop ideas and work with EIC and our partners (BlueLena) to convert readers into paying members.
• Develop partnerships with community organizations and other newsrooms to support The Record’s mission and goals.
• Offer an important voice when it comes to guiding The Record’s future, from expansion opportunities to organizational documents and statements.
• Minimum 3 years in organizational funding and development with experience supporting and growing a mission-driven organization. Newsroom and nonprofit experience preferred but not mandatory.
• Effective interpersonal and communications skills with an ability to maintain meaningful relationships with funders, readers and colleagues, as well as appropriately respond to conflict and change.
• Ability to effectively multitask, organizing and managing funding on several fronts.
• Appreciation and passion for the vital role local news plays in a community’s wellbeing.
• Preferred: Experience with donor/member management software, knowledge of industry best practices and current events, and knowledge of our coverage area and its needs as a community.
Compensation: $55,000-$60,000, paid vacation and holidays. Medical benefits not yet established for organization. Inquiries welcome.
Apply: Submit your resume and the reason you’d like to work for The Record North Shore in an email to Editor in Chief Joe Coughlin: joe (at) therecordns (dot) org. Use the subject line: Director of Development.
The Record supports and embraces diversity. Members of traditionally marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. Our organization commits to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our activities and does not discriminate based on identities and experiences, such as age, disability status, economic circumstance, ethnicity, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation.