Police Reports: Numerous digital scams, including a loss of $25,000; fire damage at Watts; and jewelry thefts in Glencoe
These reports were pulled from the latest police summaries provided by departments in our coverage area (Wilmette, Winnetka, Northfield, Kenilworth and Glencoe).
• The office door to the Wilmette Theater reportedly was kicked in between July 3-4 at 1122 Central Avenue.
• A resident’s PayPal account reportedly was frozen because of an unknown $70,000 debt to an out-of-state company.
• More than $7,000 in fraudulent charges reportedly were made at The Room Place using a resident’s personal information.
• A building reportedly was broken into between July 3-4 in the 600 block of Green Bay Road. A car inside the building reportedly was rummaged through. Nothing of value was reported missing.
• A fraudulent auto loan for a Land Rover reportedly was taken out in a resident’s name.
• More than $9,000 reportedly was transferred to a fraudulent bank account opened using a resident’s personal information.
• A resident reportedly was defrauded out of $25,000 after answering an email about a charge on her PayPal account.
• A resident reportedly was punched in the face at random around 11 p.m. in the 300 block of Sheridan Road.
• Over-the-counter medications reportedly were stolen from Walgreens, 925 Green Bay Road.
• A door frame and walls reportedly were damaged at a facility at Indian Hill Park, 131 Wilson St.
• A resident reportedly was scammed out of $2,500 after the resident was contacted by a caller purporting to be from Zelle.
• A fire reportedly caused $1,300 worth of damage to the Watts Center tennis courts on July 3. The fire reportedly began in a garbage can and spread to a shed and fence.
• A locked bicycle valued at $800 reportedly was stolen between June 22-23 from the 700 block of Old Green Bay Road.
• Around $8,500 worth of jewelry reportedly was stolen between June 23-27 from a home in the 300 block of Shoreline Court.
• Around $5,000 worth of jewelry reportedly was stolen between May 10-June 14 from the 500 block of Jackson Avenue.
• A locked bicycle reportedly was stolen between June 15-16 from the 700 block of Old Green Bay Road.
• A home in the 2200 block of Bracken Lane reportedly was broken into around 9:28 p.m. More than one offender allegedly climbed the back of the home in order to shatter a second-story window. The report says it is unclear how many items were taken from the home.
The police department reported no incidents from June 24-July 8
The Record’s police reports are taken from police-activity summaries prepared by local police departments. Police Reports contain public information from preliminary reports and are not a complete listing of all police activity. The Record does not publish the names of individuals arrested for nonviolent crimes in preliminary reports unless the incident is a matter of public safety or has broad community implications. All arrestees are innocent until proven guilty.
Joe Coughlin is a co-founder and the editor in chief of The Record. He leads investigative reporting and reports on anything else needed. Joe has been recognized for his investigative reporting and sports reporting, feature writing and photojournalism. Follow Joe on Twitter @joec2319