Kenilworth, News

UPDATE: Defective circuit breaker caused ComEd fire in Wilmette

A fire that knocked out power to more than 5,000 homes on April 30 in Wilmette reportedly began when a circuit breaker failed at a ComEd substation.

According to ComEd spokesperson David O’Dowd, the station, which is at 12 Street and Central Avenue, was shut down as a precaution at the request the Wilmette Fire Department until the fire was extinguished.

Power was restored to most of the affected homes within an hour and to the entire area, which included a portion of Kenilworth, within two hours.

“No transformers were involved in the fire and therefore they were returned to service,” according to a statement from ComEd.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, oil sometimes used on transformers can contain polychlorinated biphenyls, more commonly called PCBs, an organic pollutant; however, “ground samples were taken at the site and no toxins associated with PCBs were found,” according to ComEd’s statement. 

The Record is a nonprofit, nonpartisan community newsroom that relies on reader support to fuel its independent local journalism.

Subscribe to The Record to fund responsible news coverage for your community.

Already a subscriber? You can make a tax-deductible donation at any time.

joe coughlin
Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin is a co-founder and the editor in chief of The Record. He leads investigative reporting and reports on anything else needed. Joe has been recognized for his investigative reporting and sports reporting, feature writing and photojournalism. Follow Joe on Twitter @joec2319

Related Stories