Highland Park, News

Authorities charge student who allegedly brought gun to Highland Park High School

One student has been arrested and charged for allegedly possessing a gun at Highland Park High School, according to a release from the City of Highland Park.

On Tuesday, April 4, the high school faced a 90-minute lockdown after students reported that a gun had been brought to school.

Highland Park police eventually took five students into custody and recovered a handgun off school grounds, according to officials. On Wednesday, April 5, the City announced that one of those students, a juvenile, faces charges of possession of a firearm in a school and disorderly conduct.

Police say the other four students were questioned as potential witnesses and were not suspects and “there was not a plot by multiple individuals to engage in violence at the high school.” It is unclear if those students were released.

The City of Highland Park did not immediately return a message from The Record.

According to an email from Township District 113 on Tuesday, at least two Highland Park students told administrators Tuesday morning about the presence of a gun on campus. Authorities reportedly were called and the school, as well as several surrounding public buildings, were placed on lockdown until 12:25 p.m.

The email also stated that surveillance video showed two students — including one believed to be carrying the firearm — left school grounds some time before 10:45 a.m.

“Highland Park High School students are to be commended for their composure under pressure and their calm, measured response to this incident, which greatly assisted law enforcement and school leadership in swiftly securing the high school campus,” says the statement from the City of Highland Park. “The City also appreciates the patience and understanding of parents while Highland Park High School was locked down to allow law enforcement the ability to fully investigate incident.

“The City will continue to partner with Township High School District 113 and all government entities serving Highland Park to support public safety initiatives through close collaboration and support services.”

It is unclear where or how the charged student acquired the gun or why he brought it to school. In the release, the City says it “recognizes that many in the community may have additional questions about yesterday’s incident, (but) please understand that the Juvenile Court Act prohibits the City from sharing certain information with the public.”

Tuesday’s lockdown at Highland Park High School was initiated about an hour after students engaged in a walkout to protest gun violence and in solidarity with students across the Nashville area, where a school shooting occurred on Monday, March 27.

The walkout was set for 10:14 a.m., the moment of gunshots at the Highland Park Fourth of July parade in 2022.

The Record is a nonprofit, nonpartisan community newsroom that relies on reader support to fuel its independent local journalism.

Subscribe to The Record to fund responsible news coverage for your community.

Already a subscriber? You can make a tax-deductible donation at any time.

joe coughlin
Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin is a co-founder and the editor in chief of The Record. He leads investigative reporting and reports on anything else needed. Joe has been recognized for his investigative reporting and sports reporting, feature writing and photojournalism. Follow Joe on Twitter @joec2319

Related Stories