Police Reports: Ruse burglars strike at two homes in Glencoe; cars stolen from dealership
These reports were pulled from the latest police summaries provided by departments in our coverage area (Wilmette, Winnetka, Northfield, Kenilworth and Glencoe).
• A shopper at Jewel, 411 Green Bay Road, reportedly was the victim of a pick pocket, who the shopper said stole a wallet and then tossed it in the parking lot after being chased.
• A wallet containing ID’s and $40 reportedly was stolen from an unlocked storage box at Gillson Beach, 700 Michigan Avenue.
• A backpack reportedly was stolen between 1-2:50 p.m. from a car parked at the Wilmette Golf Course, 3900 Fairway Drive. The backpack reportedly contained cash, speakers, a pocketknife and medication and it reportedly was grabbed after the rear window of a car was smashed.
• Three vehicles allegedly were broken into overnight with various items stolen. The reported burglaries occurred in the 1500 block of Elmwood Avenue and 100 block of 6th Street.
• Jewelry reportedly was stolen overnight Aug. 13-14 from a home that was broken into in the 3500 block of Elmwood Avenue.
• Gift cards and a GPS reportedly were stolen from an unlocked car in the 2700 block of Birchwood Avenue.
• Two unlocked cars allegedly were stolen overnight — one each in the 100 block of Hibbard and 1500 block of Washington.
• Various items reportedly were stolen from three unlocked cars overnight. The reported burglaries occurred in the 400 block of Brookside, the 800 block of Romona and the 200 block of Catalpa.
• Jewelry reportedly was stolen from a home in the 1100 block of Michigan Avenue after entry was made to an unlocked door.
• A home in the 2900 block of Indianwood reportedly was broken into and four bedrooms were ransacked.
• Retail items reportedly were stolen from Walgreens, 3232 Lake Avenue.
• A 2018 GMC Terrain reportedly was stolen between 3:57-4 a.m. in the 1100 block of Oak Street. The vehicle allegedly was used on Aug. 16 in an armed robbery that led to a car crash in Wilmette.
• Sunglasses reportedly were stolen from two unlocked cars at a home in the 1100 block of Oak Street.
• Two thousand dollars in damage reportedly was done to a metal fence near 1075 Sheridan Road.
• An electrical box reportedly was vandalized at Tower Court and Gage Street.
• Two residents reportedly were the victims of ruse burglaries on Aug. 13. According to police reports, around 3:45 p.m. in the 100 block of Glenwood Avenue, an individual began asking the resident questions while other individuals entered the home. The resident later discovered rooms were rummaged through and jewelry was missing. A similar incident was reported at 7:15 p.m. in the 700 block of Strawberry Hill, where an individual distracted the homeowner with questions about the property line while other individuals entered the home.
• A catalytic converter reportedly was stolen from a car in the 1700 block of Mount Pleasant Street.
• Two cars reportedly were stolen from the Field Volvo at 770 W. Frontage Road. According to the report, the alleged thieves entered through an unlocked service bay door. Both cars were later recovered in Chicago, police say.
No incidents reported from Aug. 12-19
The Record’s police reports are taken from police-activity summaries prepared by local police departments. Police Reports contain public information from preliminary reports and are not a complete listing of all police activity. The Record does not publish the names of individuals arrested for nonviolent crimes in preliminary reports unless the incident is a matter of public safety or has broad community implications. All arrestees are innocent until proven guilty.
Joe Coughlin is a co-founder and the editor in chief of The Record. He leads investigative reporting and reports on anything else needed. Joe has been recognized for his investigative reporting and sports reporting, feature writing and photojournalism. Follow Joe on Twitter @joec2319